Pathways-Pretoria, is a non-profit, non-governmental organisation situated in the East of Pretoria. Pathways-Pretoria was founded in 2002 by Tammy Greyling (Occupational Therapist), Danita Nel (Speech and Language Therapist), and parents who were struggling to find a facility that catered to the needs of children living with moderate to severe disabilities. A playgroup was formed and this playgroup grew into Pathways-Pretoria. There are 5 other Pathways facilities in South Africa sharing the same values and principles but existing as separate entities.
Since 2002 Pathways-Pretoria grew into a large organisation that has been privileged enough to make a huge difference in the lives of many students, their families, other professionals and society as a whole.
Our goal is to ensure that your child's / young adult’s educational experience is the best it can be and our aim is to advance your child’s education to the best of our ability. We also want your family to become part of the Pathways Family and to know that at Pathways an extra mile is never just a mile.
Pathways-Pretoria consists of two entities:
- Pathways-Pretoria Learning Centre whose objectives it is to intensively stimulate babies, toddlers, children and teenagers with moderate to severe disabilities/multiple disabilities.
- Pathways-Pretoria Studio who aim to guide young adults (aged 17+) who are living with a disability to create a meaningful future for themselves, through job sampling, sheltered employment and skills development.
Currently the centre serves a total of a 100 learners, 58 children aged 3 – 18 and 42 young adults with varied needs. Danita Nel is the principal and is supported by 6 teachers, 3 assistant teachers, 1 studio-co-ordinator, 3 group co-ordinators, 17 facilitators that provide services to these children.
We have a contracted Occupational Therapist who is at Pathways during the week.
The centre has also employed two young adults with intellectual disabilities in the form of an reading coach and work support assistant.
Pathways Pretoria provides services to children with one or more of the following conditions:
- Mild to severe mental disabilities
- Mild to severe physical disabilities
- Speech impairments
- Blindness or visual impairments
- Hearing impairments
- Variety of syndromes
The School Programme focuses on:
- Desentisising learners with sensory issues with e.g. a sensory diet, sensory breaks in classrooms, messy play, music sessions and equestrian therapy.
- Stimulating learners to decrease the developmental delay
- Drawing up an individual educational plan for each learners and video recording progress every 4 months
- Augmentative and alternative communication as well as picture exchange
- Functional literacy and numeracy skills
- World knowledge
- Comprehensive life skills
- Work related skills in our workshop and exposure to work in the open labour market
The Studio Programme focuses on:
- Training practical life-skills, which assist the students to become more integrated into the community.
- Training employability skills in real work environments which encourage appropriate work habits, by this we better their chances of becoming an asset to a company and successful employment
- Providing a programme for individuals whom are living with moderate to severe disabilities. This exciting and stimulating programme is adapted to the specific needs and abilities of each individual student.
Open labour market
Under the supervision of our Employment Consultant and Job Coach, individuals on the Employment program gain work experience in the open labour market via job sampling. Individuals who are in the Employment model have an opportunity to experience the life of work and practice the skills learnt in the academy. These students sometimes have the opportunity to work part-time in the open labour market or receive help to work in an entrepreneurial small business.
Pathways Studio is part of Pathways-Pta and is registered as a non-profit organisation (NPO) with the South African Department of Social Development and as a public benefit organisation (PBO) with the South African Revenue Services and as such enjoys section 18a Tax Exempt status.
Studio: R4700.00 per month - 5 days a week
School: R4900.00 per month - 5 days a week
Bus: R1000.00 per month
Aftercare Center extra
Please contact us for more information.